Thursday, November 19, 2009

Where Mountain Lion Lay Down with Deer - Leslie Marmon Silko, 1948


I climb the black rock mountains                        
 stepping from day to day
                               silently.
I smell the wind for my ancestors
          pale blue leaves
          crushed wild mountain smell. 
Returning 
  up the gray stone cliff
  where I descended 
                  a thousand years ago.
Returning to faded black stone.
   where mountain lion lay down with deer.
It is better to stay up here
                                         watching wind's reflection 
                                          in tall yellow flowers.
The old ones who remembered me are gone
                 the old songs are all forgotten
and the story of my birth
How I danced in snow- frost moonlight
                 distant stars to the end of the Earth,
How I swam away
                     in freezing mountain water
                     narrow mossy canyon tumbling down 
                            out of the mountain 
                                out of the deep canyon stone
                      down 
                               the memory
                                                 spilling out
                                                  into the world






No comments:

Post a Comment